Wednesday 15 January 2014

Math Autobiography


For me, mathematics was very much addressed throughout my years in both primary and elementary. During primary I can remember identifying shapes, adding and subtracting, skip counting and practicing even and odd numbers. While performing these tasks we often used blocks that could be pressed together or pulled apart to make different numbers. In elementary mathematics involved problem solving, estimating answers, learning how to tell time fluently and of course practicing multiplication and division. For these types of math learning's worksheets were often used and each student was given a multiplication table that could be either stored in their agendas or taped on to the desks.

The best memory I have that surrounds the subject of mathematics was during elementary. Myself and the class were just introduced to the math lesson of how to correctly tell time on a clock. This was a topic that for some reason I could not grasp. For this reason alone, I was removed from the class and placed into a resource teacher’s care, who would in time help me understand this concept. Mrs. Power (resource teacher), showed many unique qualities during our time together. She stressed how determined she was that she would have me telling time by the end of the week and never gave up even when I insisted that it was a part of mathematics that “I will never understand”. Her constant encouragement and patience with me has most defiantly affected my views about mathematics now as an adult. I know now that all children have different needs and that just because a child may not understand a certain concept in math doesn’t mean they never will. It could be as simple as providing them with some form of extra help whether it be after school one-on-one time or a resource teacher that can lead them to success.


 

It is hard for me to think back all those years ago and classify myself as either “good” or “bad” at mathematics. There were some math lessons that I thoroughly enjoyed and know that I was “good” at such as counting, subtracting, adding and identifying shapes. I can remember not being very good at multiplication, division and telling time as I previously stated.

The role of my teacher during math classes was to teach us students the different components of that subject area using diverse strategies and forms of assessment. For example, observing our behaviours, reactions and workings, providing direct instruction, giving examples, making anecdotal records of our progress etc. After analyzing the attitudes and teachings of mathematics by both my primary and elementary teachers, I feel as though they were not enthusiastic about that particular subject area. I can also support this statement from my personal experience with Mrs. Power. Comparing her attitude towards mathematics with these teachers also gives me a clear indication that math wasn’t their favorite area to teach.

Like some areas of math in primary and elementary, I also struggled with math during my high school years. Grade ten was most defiantly the hardest year of math for me which caused me to have a full time tutor. As I entered grade eleven, math was beginning to take a positive turn and I began to actually grasp and understand it. At this most my math tutoring sessions went from full time to part time. When I reached grade twelve the only extra help I needed was before my exams. It was astonishing to see how far my math capabilities went from needing full time help to barely any in just three short years. This shift allowed me to take both math 1090 and 1000 at Memorial University.

 After reviewing my life and my involvements with math over the years, I believe that I use math very rarely. Why? Well I feel as though math is seen as something that should be quick to do which was never how I approached it. When I perform any math equation or problem I like to take my time and not be rushed or feel pressured. Unfortunately this has caused me to resort to my calculator or completely avoiding it altogether.

If you had asked me how I felt about mathematics back in 2009 or 2010 which was right after I had taken both math 1090 and 1000, I would have answered “great!” because at that point in my life I was feelings confident about my math skills. But because I have not practiced it in quite some time, my feelings about the subject area has altered in a negative direction and I have lost this sureness over the last couple of years. I am hoping that after some practice and positive feedback throughout this course, my attitude on mathematics will change for the better!     

No comments:

Post a Comment