Monday 20 January 2014

Sir Ken Robinson-Do Schools Kill Creativity?




After watching the video, I feel as though Robinson resonated some concerns of my own. After observing children throughout the last three months, I wondered myself as to why there is not much creativity being demonstrated by primary/elementary students. He stated that the areas within the "arts" are located at the bottom of the totem pole which clearly indicates why these children may not be exposed to creativity.

I feel that this video is relevant to the teachings of mathematics because:
-it opens our eyes into the importance of creativity and its significance to learning
-it gives us insight into the capacity of children's minds and their innovations
-it indicates that all children have talents and that in most cases, teachers are the ones that make them stop using it
-it claims that creativity should be viewed as being on the same level as mathematics and other subject areas
-it states that we should not encourage children to always try to get the correct answer and explains that being wrong is not the same as being creative
-it explains why we must promote creativity now with young children because as they get older they will begin losing their capacity to do so

Although I agree with Robinson in everything that he says within the video, I will state that I don't agree with some of the comments or jokes that he made regarding his sons girlfriend "Sarah". He said that the reason why he moved to Los Angeles was because of Sarah and that he is thankful that his son will never meet anyone like her again. I understand that he is trying to be humours and entertaining to his audience, but I just feel he should have done it without insulting her.

No comments:

Post a Comment