Thursday 30 January 2014

YouCubed!



As a first time viewer of http://youcubed.org/ , I wanted to know why this site was developed and who created it. Luckily there was some information on the founder Jo Boaler and why she was driven to create the site, but in saying that there were only a couple of sentences explaining this and a short video clip, which I found disappointing. As I moved down the web page, my initial opinion on the site began to shift and I was introduced to four different steps of approaching mathematics.
The first step was very reassuring as it stated that the paper under the heading “Big Ideas” will address the “elephant” in the room during math lessons. They addressed five myths of mathematics which I found rewarding because like many people, I feared this subject as a child and still do when it comes to teaching it. By providing us with this information at the beginning of the site, it allowed people to understand the misconceptions of math before they begin to teach it or form any opinions about that particular curriculum area. Step two “Content and tasks” demonstrated the different ways in which mathematics can be designed, assessed and most importantly how to set proper goals for our students! Step three labelled “Math and Innovation” gave a problem that students could use in the Google web browser which would allow them to become familiar with finding answers through the internet. The last step, “Tools for Parents” provided some very useful math activities designed for elementary children. Personally, as though the step states that the games are for parents, I believe that I would enjoy using these games myself during my future teachings in mathematics!
Below the four steps, was another section that gave all the latest news regarding mathematics. This would be useful to all website viewers as it may lead to a class discussion with your students or answer some of your own questions about that particular subject area. As far as questions go, I personally don’t have any but I will say that the information provided on the site made me feel hopeful that the “elephant” in the classroom will and can disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment